The Trust provides leadership, advocacy and funding for the development of programs and works closely with the Legislature and state departments to advise on funding and policies impacting Trust beneficiaries.
The Trust identifies key issues and funding priorities for which the Trust and will advocate for during each legislative session.
Current legislative priorities:
- The Trust recognizes the need for a sustainable budget in order to protect our beneficiaries
- The Trust’s limited resources – annual sustainable expenditures of roughly $28 million cannot significantly supplant general funds needed to serve beneficiaries. However, the Trust’s flexibility can support the hard work of transforming systems of care to make them sustainable
- Justice Reform + Reinvestment:
- The Trust has long recognized the unsustainable growth in Alaska’s correctional system and the need for new policies and approaches to reduce the corrections budget and avoid building new prisons
- The Trust is actively engaged in multiple statewide efforts reexamining the criminal justice system and, in particular the causes of and opportunities for reducing the involvement of Trust beneficiaries
- Medicaid Redesign
- Medicaid expansion and redesign are necessary elements of any strategy to achieve a sustainable budget while preserving services that protect the safety and well-being of not only Trust beneficiaries but all Alaskans
Joint Advocacy Efforts
The Trust maintains an advocacy network that helps the Trust and its partners achieve legislative success by communicating with state policymakers, informing grassroots advocates, and more. Click here to find out more and get involved in our joint advocacy efforts that are a combined effort of our statutory advisory boards.
- Bill tracking spreadsheet – emailed weekly during the session that tracks and updates legislative action on bills and budget items that may impact beneficiaries
- Legislative teleconferences — invitation to participate in a weekly teleconference to review the above-mentioned bill tracking spreadsheet
- Action alerts — receive emails regarding opportunities for public testimony
- Other information — includes talking points, position papers, etc.