The Trust, in conjunction with its statutory Advisory Boards, maintains an advocacy network that helps keep beneficiaries and organizations engaged and informed on legislative issues and bills that may have an impact on Trust beneficiaries.
The joint advocacy efforts during Legislative session include:
- Maintaining a bill tracking spreadsheet
- Hosting weekly Legislative teleconferences
- Developing and distributing action alerts
Other efforts and trainings occur when the Legislature is not in session.
To join this advocacy network please fill out the below — at any time, you can opt to be engaged in any of the above-mentioned activities. To learn more about these efforts, please click here.
Below are a Few of the Current Advocacy Efforts
- Maintaining Community-Based Services: When community-based services for people with disabilities are reduced, more people will end up in nursing homes, psychiatric hospitals, emergency rooms, jail or prison – most often at state expense. When serving vulnerable Alaskans, there will always be public costs – either on the front end with community supports or on the back end with institutional care. Safety Net Services for Trust Beneficiaries Position Paper
- SB91/HB205: The provisions in these bills include modified reentry and community aftercare planning practices, improved bail and pretrial release practices, driver’s license reinstatement, expanded risk assessment, alternatives to incarceration, and increased public safety. Please see the attached talking points for more information.
- Alcohol Excise Tax talking points.
- Alcoholic Beverages Reform SB165: will change several aspects of Alaska alcohol laws (Title 4). After an extensive three-year process in which representatives from the alcohol industry, social services, public health, public safety, and other stakeholder groups participated in research and discussions, a set of recommendations were released, some of which are incorporated into SB 165. Please see the attached talking points for more information.
- Current tracking sheet of all bills being monitored.